Telco Systems was among the companies featured in a recent research report from Heavy Reading, entitled: Orchestration for NFV: Specialists Carve Out a Niche.
This report takes at how “specialist vendors of network equipment and OSS/BSS are approaching the challenge of delivering solutions for Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) orchestration.” Over the course of this year, it will become clear who will be able to expand out of their niches and develop a platform play that encompasses NFV.
Perhaps the key factor in determining who will be dominant in this arena is the ability of these companies to establish strong partnerships and ecosystems. Providing lower costs and faster, more flexible services is still driving this industry, and with that, ecosystems allow operators to select a best-of-breed solution, without committing to a specific provider. As these partnerships or ecosystems take root, the focus will be on affordable, integrated solutions and less on technical collaboration.
“Some vendors put their virtualization management on a dedicated server, sometimes colocated with the device, but our approach puts the processing capability at the optimal place – on the device itself, and not centralized in a data center of somewhere in the core network,” Said Moshe Shimon, Vice President of Product Line Management and Marketing at Telco Systems.
“The move to off-the-shelf hardware and open architectures will open the door to new companies that can provide VNFs, VNF management and NFV orchestration; the NEPs don’t feel comfortable about this, particularly when those functions reside in the data center. The NEPs are likely to try and buy specialists to avoid the challenge that their legacy approach brings,” he added.
Heavy Reading highlights Telco Systems’ strategy, unveiled in June 2014, of unified Software Defined Networking (SDN) and NFV services and applications – the Open Metro Edge (OME) portfolio, which includes:
- CloudMetro – a family of distributed demarcation and aggregation products, including the CloudMetro 100 platform, supporting distributed NFV at the network edge
- ViNOX OS – a Linux-based network operating system for Telco Systems’ CloudMetro platforms (and physical access and aggregation products) supporting multiple transport technologies as well as OpenFlow protocol for SDN, and NETCONF protocol / YANG modeling language
- EdgeGenie – an in-house-developed service management system providing end-to-end lifecycle management of services
- TelcoController / TelcoOrchestrator – an SDN Controller / resource orchestration system enhancing EdgeGenie, and using the OpenFlow southbound interface; also provides application logic and a northbound API to other business applications
- TelcoApps – a suite of VNFs running on the company’s Telco Virtualization Engine and CloudMetro platform, and on third party equipment.